Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Why we take such a long time to create hits: Mungaru Male (MM)

What is the name of the hit Kannada movie that comes to your mind which was as hit as Mungaru Male? (all over Karnataka hit)

Is it Amruthavarshini or Nammura Mandara Huve? If I remember correctly, they are more than 5 to 8 years’ old movies. You can name Jogi and other, but I would say they were not as hit has MM. What is the average period our Kannada creative guys take to make a hit movie? I think we should improve the average. Mugaru Male has given a great platform to do that, do you know what it did unknowingly?

- Brought together diverse Kannada population together
- Emphasized why fresh faces are so important
- Encouraged and put a positive thought in the Kannadigas about the Kannada films
- Rewrote the formula for making a sensational/ musical romantic hit
- Pulling Non-Kannadigas to theaters
- Increased confidence in the producers that Karnataka has a booming movie market apart from IT
- Challenged other language film makers
- Added new Fans

There were days when I used tell, Upendra is highly talented with respect to creating stuff differently, but his model of presenting reality did not sustain for long.

If you have seen the Kingfisher AD, where a guy is humming OLA LALALALA LE O wrongly and other guy tries correcting him to sing better, the notes shows “Kingfisher Fan” and “New Kingfisher Fan”

Very recently, I have also started correcting many people who are trying to sing the song “Anisuthide” wrongly.

You can add to the list and also correct me if I have missed out any other Kannada movies, which are as hit as MM.

2 comments:

Madspace said...

Hi Santosh

Nice to read through this kind of an article. Though I haven't seen the movie even after being told by my other friends, feel this article has given me the urge to see.

Songs are marvellous though I haven't heard the music director giving an interview in any of the programmes.

Do keep up the work. You are truly a लमबे race का घोडा. Don't worry if the racing is banned in Karnataka...u seldom need a race which is so short....

Madhu

Sanho said...

Dear Anna,

Great information, short and sweet... I would surely leason to music and try to get the movie on internet...

Greatjob...
Sanjay